So incredibly simple to prepare, these delectable air fryer strawberry cream cheese chimichangas will become a family favourite at your dinner table.
The fresh strawberries and lightly sweetened filling are wrapped in a crispy tortilla and rolled in delicious cinnamon sugar. Then cooked straight in your air fryer in under 10 minutes.
So I made my way to Google, as you do. During my search across the internet, I stumbled across chocolate chimichangas. “What the heck is a chimichanga,” I thought…lol!
Not a very well known dessert in Australia. Even my kids were like dad, “what is heck is a chimichanga”.
What I did realise during my research is the calories are insane. But damn, they just taste so good.
So is it even possible to make this recipe slightly healthier?
I guess, chuck in some fresh strawberries and whack them in the air fryer, and you have a slightly healthier option.
And you now have air fryer strawberry cream cheese chimichangas, bingo! Well, that’s what I tell myself when I’m eating guilty pleasures.
Anyway, let’s get onto what you’re going to need.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Air Fryer strawberry cream cheese chimichangas
The ingredient list is small, and the flavours are plentiful. I love simplicity when maximising flavours.
You’ll be needing:
- Philadelphia cream cheese (250g) block
- Sour cream (or use light to reduce calories)
- Fresh strawberries (fresher the better)
- Vanilla Extract
- 6-7 ultra-thin tortillas (medium / regular size) wholemeal is optional.
- Olive oil cooking spray
And, of course, you will need a good quality air fryer if you don’t already have one.
I am using the Phillips XXL family sized air fryer that I purchased from Amazon. And I can tell you this air fryer is a beauty.
It cooks food perfectly every time and super fast.
Preparing the filling
The first step to making these super yummy air fryer strawberry cream cheese chimichangas is to prepare the filling.
Make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature before starting.
Dice enough strawberries to fill one cup.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the block of cream cheese with 1 cup of sour cream and strawberries. Then add 1 tbsp of vanilla extract and ⅓ cup of sugar.
Using your electric mixer or a whisk mix on medium-high speed until it has a nice creamy consistency.
How to fold chimichangas?
Place the tortillas in the microwave for 35 seconds. This way, they become pliable and easily managed when folding.
Place an even amount of the cream cheese filling across 6-7 tortillas.
Try not to use too much of the filling. Otherwise, it will make it challenging to fold.
When spreading the filling onto the tortillas, put it roughly 2 centimetres in from the bottom.
This will make it easier to fold.
Begin by folding the sides over the filling, ensuring there is a decent gap between both sides.
Fold the bottom over, then using your fingers to hold the sides in place under the filling.
Begin to roll from the bottom until the top edge of the tortilla is underneath.
Your chimichangas should look like a small burrito.
How to cook chimichangas in an air fryer?
Grease your air fryer with cooking spray and preheat to 200°C (400°F) for 3 minutes.
Lightly spray olive oil onto each chimichanga, place them seam side down into the air fryer, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Leave space around each chimichanga to allow even cooking.
Mine only took 8 minutes to cook in my air fryer, so check your chimichangas at the same cook time.
They should be a light shade of brown, then you know they are ready to go.
Making the topping for chimichangas
Now is a great time to begin making the topping while your air fryer strawberry cream cheese chimichangas are cooking.
In a shallow bowl, add ⅓ cup of sugar to 1 tbsp of cinnamon and mix.
Pop some butter into the microwave to melt for 30-35 seconds and begin lightly brushing the chimichangas.
This will help the topping stick. Roll the chimichangas in the topping thoroughly, coating each one.
Top the chimichangas with whipped cream and some more diced strawberries, then serve immediately.
Chimichangas taste best when served warm.
And the most crucial step of all is to ENJOY!
Check out some of our favourite air fryer recipes at JustSoYum!
At JustSoYum, we love bringing you delicious homemade air fryer recipes.
And the following are just some of our personal favourites.
Air fryer marinated chicken drumsticks: This recipe is one of my old favourites and a hit with the family. It’s crispy and super juicy because of the secret marinade that I’ve been making at home for years.
Air fryer Nutella doughnuts: Is there nothing that an air fryer can’t do?
Make them for snacks or even for a birthday party. These yummy, fluffy doughnuts are so simple to make, the kids will want to get involved.
8-minute air fryer milo lava cake: So light and fluffy and packed with chocolaty milo goodness, this dessert will send you on a journey from the moment you taste it.
Air fryer roast potatoes: So incredibly soft and fluffy on the inside but nice and crunchy on the outside—the perfect side for your roast meat or piece of steak.
We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Air Fryer Strawberry Cream Cheese Chimichangas
- 250 g philadelphia cream cheese block
- 1 cup sour cream (light sour cream optional)
- 1 cup strawberries freshly chopped
- 6 flour tortillas (thin 20cm diameter tortillas)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
- cooking spray olive oil
- whipped cream (optional)
- Dice enough strawberries to fill 1 cup. Chop extra strawberries to garnish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine one 250g block of room temperature cream cheese with 1 cup of sour cream. Add 1 tbsp of vanilla extract and ⅓ cup of sugar. Mix on medium-high speed until it has a nice creamy consistency.
- Into the bowl, add diced strawberries, and fold evenly throughout the cream cheese.
- Place the tortillas in the microwave for 35 seconds. This will make the tortillas easier to fold.
- To fold the chimichangas, place two spoonfuls close to the middle of the tortilla to allow easy folding. Fold over the left and right sides first, so they almost meet in the middle. Then fold over the bottom. Hold on to the ends and roll until you have the shape of a small burrito.
- Grease your air fryer with cooking spray and preheat to 200°C (400°F) for 3 minutes.
- Lightly spray olive oil onto each chimichanga and place them seam side down into the air fryer, and cook for 8-10 minutes at 200°C (400°F). Leave space around each chimichanga to allow even cooking.
- While the chimichangas are cooking, begin preparing the topping by combining ⅓ cup of sugar to 1 tbsp of cinnamon in a shallow bowl and mix.
- When the chimichangas are light brown in colour, remove them from the air fryer and lightly brush melted butter on them. Begin rolling each one in the sugar and cinnamon topping. This will help the topping to stick to the chimichangas.
- Place extra chopped strawberries on top, together with whipped cream and serve immediately.