Deliciously creamy and packed full of flavour, this Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Carbonara recipe is super easy to make.
And if you are looking for pasta only Carbonara, leave the chicken out.
My children love pasta-based meals, so when I made this for the first time, they were wrapped. Now they ask for it all the time.
And the best part is if you don't want to use fettuccine as your pasta, you can use anyone you like. Spaghetti and bows are a great alternative, but there are so many other varieties to choose from.
This recipe is not only great for dinner, but it also makes for a great lunch as well.
How to make creamy chicken and mushroom carbonara at home
A few ingredients are needed for this, but I promise you it is so easy that you will wonder why you haven't made it before.
- Chicken Breast
- Brown Onion
- Streaky Bacon Strips
- White Mushrooms
- Salt and Pepper
- Italian Herbs
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Whole Eggs
- Egg Yolk
- Thickened Cream or Whipping Cream
- Fresh Basil
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- Fettuccine or another pasta of your choice
With this recipe, I do advise you to prep all your ingredients first. But before you do that, place a large pot of water on the stove to boil for your pasta.
Dice your chicken into 1cm cubes, slice your mushrooms, thinly dice your onion, and chop your bacon into small pieces.
Then chop up your fresh basil, or you can use the semi-dried basil that you can buy from the supermarket.
Finely chop your garlic cloves, or you can use the crushed garlic that comes in a jar; 1 teaspoon is equal to a clove.
Grate your parmesan and mozzarella cheese if you are not using the pre-grated ones.
Separate one egg yolk from the white, discard the white or put it aside for another recipe such as Lemon Meringue Cheesecake.
Crack the other eggs into a large bowl and add the extra egg yolk, then whisk well.
Add the cream and whisk again, then add the salt and pepper, basil and Italian herbs and mix through.
Lastly, add your grated cheeses and stir through again, then put aside until needed.
Place a large pan or pot on the stove, add oil and turn onto high heat. Allow the oil to heat up.
Hopefully, your pot of water is boiling; add salt to the water, stir it around, and then add your pasta.
Add your chicken to the pan and stir until you can not see any more pink on the outside of the chicken.
Turn the heat down to medium-high, add the onion, bacon and mushroom to the pot and continue stirring until the mushrooms are tender. This should take around 5 minutes.
Oh, and don't forget to stir your pasta even now and test for when it is cooked through.
Once the mushrooms are tender, turn the heat off. Stain and rinse your pasta when it is ready, and then add it to the pan.
While the heat is off, stir the pasta through and then add your liquid mixture and continue to stir until everything is well coated.
Turn your stove back on to medium heat and stir continuously until your mixture starts to warm, then turn your heat down to low and continue stirring until the sauce begins to thicken.
Once your sauce starts to thicken, turn the stove off, remove your pot from the stove and set aside for around two minutes for the sauce to thicken more.
Then serve on a plate or in a bowl either on its own or with a side dish of your choice.
Some of Our Other Pasta Recipes on JustSoYum!
Looking for some other pasta recipes to make, here are some more ideas to try.
- Easy Cheesy Meatballs with Spaghetti – a great way to change up that spaghetti bolognese meal.
- Delicious Herbed Beef and Macaroni – easy to make, just add to your slow cooker and walk away, great for those busy days.
- Creamy Beef and Bacon Stroganoff with Mushrooms – another not only yummy but quick and easy meal you and your family will love.
Creamy Chicken And Mushroom Carbonara
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts Skin Off
- 1 Brown Onion
- 3 Streaky Bacon Strips
- 200 g White Mushrooms
- 4 Garlic Cloves or crushed garlic (refer to Note 1)
- 350 g Fettuccine or another pasta of your choice
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 300 ml Thickened Cream or Whipping Cream
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Italian Herbs
- ¼ cup Fresh Basil or semi-dried
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ⅓ cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Place pot of water on to boil for the fettuccine and cook according to packet directions.
- Dice chicken into 1cm cubes. Finely dice onion and garlic, chop bacon into small pieces, chop the basil and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk into a large bowl and whisk. Add the cream and whisk again. Then add the basil, Italian herbs, salt and pepper and mix. Then add the cheeses and gently stir through and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large deep fry pan, add the chicken and cook on high heat until the chicken is white in colour.
- Turn heat down to medium-high heat, and add the garlic, bacon and mushroom. Cook until tender, then turn off the stove.
- Drain and rinse the fettuccine, add to the frypan and stir through.
- Add the sauce mixture to the frypan and stir through. Then turn the heat on to medium until it starts to warm while constantly stirring. Then reduce to low heat and continue stirring until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn the stove off and remove the frypan from the stove completely. Set aside for two minutes to allow the sauce to thicken more. Then serve.
Alternatively, you can leave a comment below and let us know how you went.