Delicious and not too sweet, this Easy Vanilla Rice Pudding Recipe is topped off with cinnamon powder and will be a family favourite that gets made again and again.
This recipe is one I grew up eating. My mum would make this from time to time for dessert.
And it’s not only the taste that I love; it is how easy it is to make and only uses five ingredients that you will most likely always have in your pantry.
Making this a great last-minute option when you need a dessert but don’t have the time or ingredients to create something more intricate.
How to make this easy vanilla rice pudding recipe
Like I mentioned above, it’s super easy, and you only need five ingredients along with a casserole or ovenproof dish to make this.
- Castor Sugar or granulated sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- White Rice
- Cinnamon Powder or Sugar (optional)
Pre-heat your fan-forced oven to 180°C or 200°C if you have a conventional oven.
Add the milk, caster sugar, butter or margarine, and vanilla extract in an ovenproof dish.
Gently stir with a fork, then add the rice and stir again.
Place on the centre rack of your oven to bake. Stirring after the first 30 minutes and then after every 15 minutes until the rice is tender.
Tip: if you find all your liquid is gone and your rice is still not tender, you can add an extra half cup of milk to allow more cook time.
This will take an hour and a half to two hours to cook, depending on your oven.
Note: try not to let your milk cook away entirely, or it will dry out the rice. If the liquid is gone from the dish, but your pudding is still wet, and your rice is cooked through, it is ready to serve.
Serve into bowls, and if you like cinnamon, you can sprinkle some powder or sugar over the top of your vanilla rice pudding once in a bowl.
You can even serve this with fresh berries or boiled green apples as well.
Some of Our Other Dessert Recipes on JustSoYum!
Looking for some other easy to make desserts to serve, here are some more ideas to try.
- Homemade Butterscotch Ice Cream with a Caramel Swirl – ice cream is always a hit for dessert, and this homemade ice cream is super easy to make.
- Cream and Jam Long John Doughnut Recipe – being able to make Long John’s at home means having these scrumptious doughnuts even you want.
- 8-Minute Air Fryer Milo Lava Cake Recipe For Two – these are not just easy to make, but quick too. And if you are one for air fryer recipes, then this is a must dessert to try.
Easy Vanilla Rice Pudding Recipe
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 tbsp Butter or Margarine
- ½ cup Castor Sugar (Granulated Sugar)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup White Rice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon Powder or Cinnamon Sugar (both optional)
- In an ovenproof dish, add milk, butter, castor sugar and vanilla extract then stir gently.
- Add the rice and stir again gently.
- Place in a preheated oven of 180°C (fan-forced) or 200°C (conventional) for 1 and ½ to 2 hours depending on your oven.
- Stir gently 30 minutes into the bake and then every 15 minutes until ready.
- Add an extra ½ cup of milk if needed
Alternatively, you can leave a comment below and let us know how you went.