Our Mushroom and Onion Gravy for Roast Beef is super easy to make and can also be added to your delicious steak or silverside.
Although my honey gravy recipe is excellent for any meat, I think this gravy tops your roast beef perfectly.
How to make Mushroom and Onion Gravy For Roast Beef.
Ingredients to make this recipe is:
- Red or brown onion
- Olive oil
- Vegetable Stock/Broth
- Heavy Whipping/Thickened Cream
- Yellow/American Mustard
Optional extras to add if you like is Worcestershire sauce to add a little kick and some corn-starch/cornflour to thicken if you want a thicker consistency.
First off, start by finely dicing your onion.
Add the oil to a frypan or skillet and heat over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook until it is fully coated in oil. Add the butter and then the mushrooms.
Continue to stir until the mushrooms become tender.
Add the vegetable stock/broth and then the cream and mustard.
Stir till it starts to bubble a bit, then turn down to medium-low heat and simmer for around five minutes, or the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
If you want a thinker constancy, combine the cornstarch or cornflour into the water, then slowly add small amounts at a time while stirring until you have the consistency desired.
You can add extra if you are looking for a really thick sauce.
Adding the Worcestershire sauce is optional; however, I find it just adds a slight tang to the sauce without ruining the mushroom gravy taste.
What meat does mushroom gravy go with?
Of course, beef is the number one for mushroom gravy. However, you can add it to chicken and lamb also.
And sometimes, when I am making Slow Cooked Corned Beef In Red Wine or Shannon is making his Garlic Herb-Crusted Weber Q Roast Beef, I also like to have creamy mashed potatoes with these meals. And the mushroom and onion gravy over the top is so yummy.
Mushroom And Onion Gravy For Roast Beef
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 20 g Butter
- 250 g Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard/American Mustard
- 200 ml Heavy Whipping/Thickened Cream
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch/Cornflour
- 1 ½ tbsp Water
- Finely dice the onions and slice the mushrooms
- Over medium heat, add the oil and onions to a frypan and stir until the onion is coated in the oil.
- Add the butter and mushrooms and continue to stir until they are tender.
- Add the broth, cream, and mustard. Bring to the boil and then simmer until it starts to slightly thicken.
- If you want a thicker gravy, combine the water and cornstarch together, and then slowy add it to the gravy while stiring.
- Add the Worcestershire Sauce, this is optional though.