This Pressure-Cooked Herbed Chicken Drumsticks and Gravy recipe is not only juicy and yummy, but it is so simple to make and doesn’t take long to cook at all.
One of my kid’s favourite things to eat is chicken drumsticks, so we always come up with new flavours and ways to cook them.
And pressure cooking them not only cooks them quickly, but it makes the meat so juicy and tender, it’s hard to stop at just one or two.
And what I also love is creating a simple chicken gravy from the liquid inside my presser-cooker, just adding a couple more things to get the right taste.
And with this post, I will show you how to make this simple but delicious recipe.
How to make pressure-cooked herbed chicken drumsticks and gravy.
A pressure cooker is required for this, but it doesn’t matter if it is stovetop or electric.
A rack to sit inside your pressure cooker, allowing the chicken drumsticks to sit just above all the liquid that goes into your cooker.
There are a few things you need to make the drumsticks and the gravy.
Chicken Drumsticks Ingredients:
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Liquid Chicken Stock or Broth
- Brown Sugar
- Sweet Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
- Unsalted Butter
Chicken Gravy Ingredients:
- The cooking liquid
- Plain or All-Purpose Flour
- Unsalted Butter
- Beef Stock Cube
- Thickened or Heavy Whipping Cream
Even though there may seem to be quite a few ingredients, I assure you it is straightforward to do.
Chicken Drumsticks Method:
Add the brown sugar, sweet paprika, garlic and onion powder, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper into a large ziplock bag or container.
Mix, then add the chicken drumsticks and shake to coat the drumsticks evenly.
Don’t worry if it looks like the coating won’t be enough to cover all your drumsticks, so long as you have the right amount of chicken, it will be enough to coat them all.
Place the rack into the bottom of the pressure cooker, then slowly pour in the chicken stock. Make sure that the liquid does not cover the top of your stand. Your chicken needs to remain out of the liquid.
If you do not have liquid chicken stock, you can make it via water and chicken stock cubes. Just follow the directions on the package for how to do this.
Place your chicken drumsticks onto the rack; it doesn’t matter if some have to sit on top of another; they will cook evenly.
Chop up the butter into small cubes and place it in various places on top of the chicken.
Place the lid onto your pressure cooker and seal the vent.
Then pressure cook for 15 to 18 minutes depending on the thickness of meat on your drumsticks.
If you happen to have an all-in-one cooker such as the Phillips one I use, a poultry preset is the pressure cooking option.
With cooking time, make sure you also allow time for the pressure to build before they start to cook, which is around 10 minutes and then the depressurising after the cook, approximately 5 minutes.
It may depend on the types of cooker you are using also. With mine, the overall cook time 30 minutes.
Once the chicken is ready, wrap them in aluminium foil to keep warm while making the gravy.
Chicken Gravy Method:
Over low heat, melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and stir until you get a roux.
Slowly add the liquid stock from your cooker, the beef stock cube and cream.
Then stir until all combined and your gravy starts to thicken.
How to serve:
Serve your drumsticks with veggies, salads or chips/fries. Pour the gravy over your chicken or use it as a dipping gravy for your chicken and fries.
Some of Our Chicken Recipes on JustSoYum!
Chicken is one of the cheapest meats to cook with and so many ways to cook it. You can really have some fun exploring different flavour combinations also.
Here are just a few of our favourites!
- Authentic Chinese Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup – a yummy soup that’s great for a starter or even a lunch. Perfect for a cold winters day.
- Bacon and Herb Roast Chicken On The Weber Q – juicy, tender roast chicken cooked on the weber q with the added flavour of bacon, just to top it off.
- Super Juicy Air Fryer Marinated Chicken Drumsticks – super juicy meat, crispy coating and packed full of flavour.
Juicy Pressure-Cooked Herbed Chicken Drumsticks and Gravy
Chicken Drumsticks Ingredients
- 1.3 kg Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 cups Liquid Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 100 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Cooking Liquid
- 60 g Unsalted Butter
- 4 tbsp Plain or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- ½ cup Thickened or Heavy Whipping Cream
Chicken Drumsticks Method
- Add the sugar, paprika, garlic and onion powder, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper into a large ziplock bag. Combine well by shaking.
- Add the drumsticks and shake well to coat them in the seasoning.
- Place the rack into the bottom of the pressure cooker, then add the chicken stock.
- Place the drumsticks on top of the rack. Cut the butter up into small pieces and place on top of the chicken.
- Pressure cook for 15 to 18 minutes (Refer to Note 1). Once the chicken is cooked, remove and wrap in aluminium foil to keep warm.
- Remove 2 cups of the cooking liquid from the pressure cooker and set aside.
- Add butter to a pan and melt over low heat. Once the butter has melted add the flour and stir until you create a smooth roux.
- Add the cooking liquid, cream and beef stock to the pan and stir until well combined.
- When the gravy starts to thicken, remove it from the stove and pour it into a gravy boat.
Then allow around 5 minutes for it to depressurize after the cook.
Alternatively, you can leave a comment below and let us know how you went.