Soft and yummy, this Smarties Cookies Recipe is packed full of colour, and you will be able to keep the biggest of kids happy. But one batch may not be enough.
Smartie cookies are one of my kid’s favourite cookies to eat. Even when we go to a cafe, they have to have one if they sell them.
But making them at home makes them even happier. My children love having them as a quick snack before their after school activities, and my husband even takes one to work with his lunch.
But if you are not a smartie fan or can not buy smarties depending on where you live, M&M’s are another great option to use.
How to make this smarties cookies recipe at home
This is a great recipe that you can whip together in no time and can be a lifesaver if you need snacky stuff quickly.
- Unsalted Butter
- White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Plain Flour
- Baking Soda
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
Pro Tip: Before getting started, always make sure your butter and egg are at room temperature.
Preheat your oven to 175°C or 360°F.
Sift your flour and baking soda into a mixing bowl. Add the salt, then whisk to combine and set aside.
Place the unsalted butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a separate bowl.
Pro Tip: make sure the brown sugar is packed into the cup. When it comes out, it should look like a disk.
Cream the butter and sugar together using either an electric mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
Pro Tip: Use the paddle attachment if using a stand mixer.
Scrape down the bowl, add the egg, vanilla extract, and olive oil, and mix until combined.
Scrape down the bowl again, add the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed at first, then increase to medium-high until the flour is just combined.
Place your smarties into a zip lock bag and crush them with the back of a wooden spoon.
Pour the crushed smarties into the cookies mix, and using a spatular, stir them through the mixture.
Note: If you find there are still a few whole smarties, you can cut them up with a pair of kitchen scissors, or even just leave them whole.
Line a baking tray with baking or parchment paper. Scoop out two tablespoons of the mixture, or divide the mixture into 12 equal portions. Roll into a ball and place onto the baking tray.
Make sure there is enough room for them to spread.
I find six per tray works well.
Slightly flatten with your fingers, then put some whole smarties on top. Place in the oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until you start to get a light golden brown edge around the cookies.
Once baked, remove from the oven and place extra smarties on top before they cool, filling in any gaps.
Then place the cookies onto a cooling rack to cool.
Why use olive oil and not vegetable or canola oil?
Using oil when baking helps create a lovely moist texture to what you are baking.
Usually, a cake or cupcake recipe will call for canola oil. But for these smarties cookies, I am using olive oil.
Olive oil helps to neutralize the sweetness, and as there are two types of sugar in this recipe, the cookies are overly sweet.
Other snack recipes that go down a treat.
Whether it is just for a snack or dessert these recipes are sure to be a pleaser to anyone you serve them to.
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes are a great snack or dessert for the lover of cupcakes and lemon meringue pie.
- Air Fryer Milo Lava Cake is so simple to make and only takes 8 minutes to bake in the air fryer.
- This Cream and Jam Long John Doughnut Recipe is so delicious you will want to make them again and again.
Super Soft Smarties Cookies Recipe
- 125 g Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup White Sugar or Granulated Sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar tightly packed
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1½ Cups Plain Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- ¾ cup Smarties extra to go on top
- Preheat the oven to 175°C or 360°F
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl, then whisk in salt.
- Cream together butter and sugars, then add the egg, vanilla extract and olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed to start, then increase to a medium-high until just combined.
- Break up ¾ cup of smarties and mix them into the dough using a spatula.
- Line a baking tray and divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Approx 2 tablespoons. Roll them into balls and place them on the tray, allowing room for them to spread.
- Slightly flatten with your fingers, then add a few smarties on top. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, add more smarties, and then place on a cooling rack to cool.