My Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole recipe is super creamy, amazingly tender and built to feed a small army. It also makes an ideal dish for entertaining.
And this Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole doesn't disappoint!
Is there anything better than the smell of Sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic? I can't think of any.
You'll be amazed by how juicy and tender the chicken is as it's been baking in the delicious creamy sauce.
And it's pretty simple to put together, throw in the Weber Q and serve.
The best part is this recipe will feed at least 6 people, and if there just happen to be leftovers. It can be easily reheated instead of thrown away.
I know you're going to love this one, guys!
Ingredients for Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole
The ingredients for this recipe are simple, and putting it all together is easy!
- Skinless chicken breast
- Mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- Salt & black pepper
- Plain/all-purpose flour
- Onion (diced)
- Garlic (crushed)
- Olive oil - for Sautéing
- Unsalted butter
- Plain/all-purpose flour
- Chicken stock/broth
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup of half & half (half milk, half heavy whipping cream)
Don't like mushrooms? I got your back
I use simple white mushrooms for this recipe, but a great option is Brown Portabella Mushrooms if you are not a fan.
If you don't like mushrooms at all, then you can definitely substitute them for other alternative vegetables such as:
- Frozen peas
Keep in mind that any alternatives that you pick are sturdy vegetables. Avoid veggies such as zucchini because they turn mushy.
How to make Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole?
1) Sautéing the chicken:
Begin slicing the chicken breast into strips approximately 1 inch apart, much like chicken tenders.
Slice each strip in half again if you find the chicken breast too thick.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Place the chicken into a zip lock bag, add plain/all-purpose flour, and then toss the chicken around the flour to make sure it's fully coated.
Shake off the excess flour and place the chicken onto a wire rack.
Over med-high heat, add 3 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pan/skillet.
Sauté the chicken on both sides until it's a light golden brown.
Power Tip: The chicken is effectively cooked twice, so there is no need to overcrowd the pan. Cook in batches if need be.
Transfer the chicken to a 13 x 9 casserole baking dish making sure to layout the chicken evenly. Work in batches if need be.
2) Sautéing the mushrooms:
Wipe the pan/skillet with a paper towel, and over med-high heat, add 3 tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the sliced mushrooms, diced onion, and sauté for 5-7 minutes while continuously stirring.
Crush 3 cloves of garlic into the pan/skillet and continue stirring until you can smell the wonderful aroma of garlic. 1-2 minutes will do the trick.
When the garlic is fragrant, transfer the mushroom and onion mixture to the baking dish spreading evenly across the chicken.
Fire up your Weber Q
Baby Q: Turn the gas control knob to the START/HI position and light your Weber Q. Close the lid and pre-heat for 10 minutes.
Family Q: Turn both gas control knobs to the START/HI position and light your Weber Q. Close the lid and pre-heat for 10 minutes.
3) Making the creamy sauce:
Wipe the pan/skillet out again using a paper towel and add 3 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
Wait for the butter to melt, then whisk in 3 tablespoon of plain/all-purpose flour.
Continue whisking until the sauce thickens (1-2 minutes).
Add 1 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and 1 cup of pre-mixed half & half milk and heavy whipping cream to the pan.
Continue to whisk until the sauce reaches a light simmer, then season with salt to taste.
Pour the sauce evenly over the baking dish, covering the chicken and mushrooms.
Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil, and it's now ready for the Weber Q.
Baking chicken and mushroom casserole
Almost there! Our Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole is ready for baking.
Place the covered casserole dish onto the centre of the trivet, close the lid and turn the heat down to the medium/middle position.
Family Q: turn the small gas control knob off and the large control knob down to medium/middle position.
Bake for 45 minutes between 190°C (375°F) to 200°C (390°F).
My creamy Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole recipe have been effectively baked in gravy.
I highly recommend serving over mashed potatoes.
Rice or pasta works really well also.
I hope you enjoy this one, guys!
Try some of our other favourite Weber Q recipes
Weber Q Hasselback Potatoes: Smothered in mouthwatering garlic, chive butter, and melted cheese. You'll go crazy for more.
Make it pizza night at home on your Weber Q.
We show you how to make pizza from the ground up.
And don't worry, I know you can't have pizza without crispy Weber Q garlic bread. I got you covered.
We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Creamy Weber Q Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- 1.2 kg skinless chicken breast cut into 1inch strips
- 450 g white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain/all-purpose flour to coat the chicken
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoon olive oil divided
Ingredients for Sauce
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup milk half cup milk & half cup cream combined
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- salt to taste
- Slice the chicken into 1-inch strips (smaller if preferred) and season both sides with salt and black pepper. Place the chicken inside a ziplock bag, then add the flour to coat. Shake off any excess flour before transferring the chicken to a plate.
- Add 3 tablespoon olive oil to a pan/skillet and saute the chicken over medium/high heat. Saute both sides of the chicken until it’s light golden brown. Next, Transfer the chicken to a 13 x 9 casserole baking dish, then wipe the pan/skillet clean using a paper towel.
- Add a further 3 tablespoon of olive oil back into the pan/skillet and saute the mushrooms with the onion for 5-7 minutes, stirring continously or until brown.
- Into the pan, crush three cloves of garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the baking dish with the chicken.
- Set the Weber Q up for indirect cooking by placing a convection tray and trivet onto the grill. Preheat for 10 minutes with the lid down by turning the gas control knob/s to the START/HI position.
- Wipe the pan/skillet clean with a paper towel and add 3 tablespoon of unsalted butter until melted, then whisk in 3 tablespoon of flour and let that saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock/broth and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup of half and half milk and heavy whipping cream, and bring it to a light simmer. (taste the sauce and add salt to taste)
- Pour the sauce evenly across the chicken and mushrooms and cover the baking dish with foil or a lid if you have one.
Baking Chicken & Mushroom Casserole
- Place the baking dish onto the centre of the trivet and bake at 190°C (375°F) to 200°C (390°F) for 45 minutes with the lid down. Or turn the gas control knob down to the medium setting.Family Q: Turn the small gas control knob OFF and the large knob to the medium position.
- Serve hot over mashed potato, rice, or pasta.