Smooth and creamy, Homemade Mayonnaise is perfect for salads, sandwiches or for making dips.
Super easy to make by hand or in a blender and only needs a few ingredients.
There isn’t much to making your own mayonnaise, but it is a bit of a workout if you are making it by hand with a whisk. So if you have a blender handy, you can use that instead.
With this recipe, I wanted to show you the steps for making it by hand; however, if you’re using a blender, it will turn out the same as long as you follow those steps if you’re using a blender.
How to make homemade mayonnaise
There isn’t a lot needed, but do not be put off by the amount of oil needed.
- Egg Yolks
- Dijon Mustard
- Light Olive Oil
- White Wine Vinegar
- Fresh Lemon
- Sea Salt
If you are using a blender refer to the Notes in the recipe card.
In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk the eggs yolks. Add the Dijon mustard and whisk until well blended.
To help with the whisking you can place a folded up tea towel under one side of the bowl to place it on an angle.
While whisking, very slowly add half the olive oil. Important – do not pour it in fast, or it will separate the eggs. You do need to pour very, very slowly while whisking so that the oil can incorporate into the egg yolks.
This part does take a while to do and will give your arm work out.
Once half the oil is added, add the white wine vinegar, and whisk well. The vinegar will also help loosen the mixture making it easier to whisk.
Then continue adding the rest of the oil; this time, you can pour it in a little faster, but still being careful not to add too much at once.
When all the oil is added, squeeze half the lemon into the mixture. And if you want, you can do this over a strainer or your hand to avoid any of the pips going into the mix.
Add the salt and then whisk well until combined.
Store in a clean jar or container with a tight air lid in the fridge for up to one week.
Mayonnaise is used all year round in our house; two of my children even like it on their toast. Not my idea of a toast spread, but hey, if they eat it!
Some of Our Recipes on Just So Yum that you can use this homemade mayonnaise in!
We have a few recipes that you can use this mayonnaise for, here are just a few of our favourites!
- Simply Amazing Weber Q Beef Burger with Cheese Recipe – a mouth-watering burger that uses mayonnaise in the burger sauce.
- Simple Homemade Potato Salad with Egg and Bacon – add the mayonnaise to this potato salad and wow your friends and family with the fact you made the mayonnaise as well.
- Chicken Salad Wrap With Homemade Mayonnaise – add to your wraps for home, work or school lunches.
Other recipes to use homemade mayonnaise in are:
- Devilled Eggs
- Mayo and mustard spread for sandwiches
- Pasta Salad
- Dips for chips or narcos
Simple Homemade Mayonnaise For Salads And Sandwiches
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 500 ml Light Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- ½ Lemon
- pinch Ground Sea Salt
- Whisk egg yolks and Dijon Mustard in a large mixing bowl. Refer to Notes for blender tips.
- Pour 250mls olive oil extremely slowly while whisking.
- Whisk in the white wine vinegar, then continue adding the rest of the oil while whisking.
- Squeeze the ½ lemon into the mix, add a pinch of ground sea salt and wisk until combined.
- Place into an airtight jar or container and store in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @justsoyum on Instagram or Facebook so we can find your masterpiece.
Alternatively, you can leave a comment below and let us know how you went.