Tender, juicy chicken breasts, covered in a delicious tomato herbed sauce, topped with melted cheese. This Classic Pub Style Chicken Parmigiana will be a hit with your family and friends.
And not only is it yummy, it’s great for the budget also.
I love making chicken parmigiana at home, it is so easy and quick to make, and the kids love the idea of chips on the side instead of veggies.
Although, serving it with some mashed potato and steamed green beans is an excellent alternative if you want something else.
But it wouldn’t be pub style if it didn’t have chips and a side of leafy salad with cherry tomatoes.
How to make classic pub style chicken parmigiana at home
This recipe does use a few ingredients, but it is still straightforward to prepare and make.
- Chicken Breasts (skin off)
- Plain Flour
- Dried Basil
- Dried Rosemary
- Garlic Powder
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Dried Rosemary
- Crushed Garlic
- Italian Dried Mixed Herbs
- Ham Slices
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- Grated Tasty Cheddar Cheese
- Olive Oil
Preheat your oven to 180C, and then fillet your chicken breasts in half and put them aside.
If you have a mortar and pestle, add the basil and rosemary to it and grind them into powder. But if you don’t, you can skip this step.
In a bowl, add the breadcrumbs, add the basil and rosemary, and garlic powder and grated parmesan cheese. Then mix well to combine.
Whisk your eggs and then in three containers big enough for the chicken to fit, ad the eggs, flour and breadcrumb mixture into each.
Drip the chicken into the flour first and shake off any excess. Then dip in the eggs and let excess drip off before placing it into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
Place a large frying pan on the stove. Add some olive oil and heat over medium-low heat.
Once the oil is hot enough, add one to two coated chicken fillets to the pan and cook till the outside is a nice golden brown. This takes roughly three to four minutes aside.
Then place onto a tray with some paper towel to drain off excess oil.
Note – You can top up the oil in the frypan before adding more chicken if needed and do not overcrowd the pan with too much chicken
While your chicken is aside, make the sauce and grate the cheeses if you need to.
In a small to medium-sized bowl, pour in the passata. Coarsely chop up your basil, then add that along with the rosemary, Italian mixed herbs and crushed garlic to the passata and mix well.
Cut your ham in half if you need to. My ones are round, so it works better if they are cut to cover more of the chicken.
Place your chicken into a large baking dish, big enough to fit all your chicken.
Then place the ham on top of each one. Cover with your sauce, and then sprinkle the grated mozzarella on top using all of it, followed by the grated tasty cheddar cheese.
Place your baking tray into the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken’s internal temp reaches 71C. This is the same eating temp for chicken.
Once the chicken is cooked, serve with crinkle cut, or steakhouse chips and a salad. And garnish with finely chopped parsley or chives.
Note-if the cheese on top is not browned fully, and you would like to brown it a little more, you can pop them under the griller on high to help the cheese brown up on top.
Don’t leave it in the oven longer to brown as it will overcook the chicken and dry the meat out.
Some of Our Other Chicken Recipes on JustSoYum!
There is so much you can make with chicken, and it can be great for the budget as well. Here are some of our favourite recipes for you to try.
- Super Juicy Air Fryer Marinated Chicken Drumsticks – packed full of flavour, this chicken drumsticks recipe is great if you love to airfry.
- Bacon and Herb Roast Chicken On The Weber Q – wow your family or guests with this super juciy roast chicken on your Weber Q
- Juicy Pressure-Cooked Herbed Chicken Drumsticks and Gravy – this recipe is super easy to make and the gravy is so delicious.
You can check out more of our chicken recipes HERE!
Classic Pub Style Chicken Parmigiana
- 3 Chicken Breasts (skin off)
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- ½ tsp Dried Rosemary
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 700 ml Passata
- 1 tbsp Fresh Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Italian Dried Mixed Herbs
- 6 Ham Slices
- 2 cups Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Grated Tasty Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C, grate your cheeses and fillet your chicken breasts in half.
- Add the dried basil and ½ teaspoon of rosemary to a mortar and ground to a powder. Refer to Note 1 for an alternative option.
- Place the breadcrumbs, basil, rosemary and garlic powder into a bowl and mix well.
- Whisk 2 to 3 eggs and place in a shallow dish or container. Place the flour and breadcrumb mix into two other shallow dishes also.
- Dip your chicken into the flour and shake off the excess, dip into the egg and let the excess drip off, then coat in the breadcrumb mix. Repeat this for all pieces of chicken, making sure they are all coated.
- Add oil to a frypan and cook the chicken over low-medium heat just until they are golden brown on each side. Then place them on to paper towel to drain.
- Add the passata sauce, fresh basil, 1 teaspoon of rosemary, crushed garlic and Italian herbs into a bowl and mix until all combined.
- Place the chicken into a large deep baking dish. Place the ham slices over the top of each one, then cover them entirely with the sauce. Cover with the grated mozzarella and then the tasty cheese. Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches 71°C internaley.
- Refer to Note 2 for extra cheese browning tips.
Alternatively, you can leave a comment below and let us know how you went.