Topped with Cheddar, Colby and, delicious mozzarella cheese, my Weber Q Macaroni and cheese recipe will be a hit with your mates when your out camping in the wilderness.
With a beautiful combination of herbs, this is mac & cheese with a slight twist.
I don’t know what it is about camping, but food seems to taste so much better. I don’t think we can appreciate the real taste of food until we cook it out in mother nature.
That’s why I love my weber Q so much! We can have the taste of home while exploring the natural beauty of this world.
And having a bowl full of mac and cheese with a beer in front of the campfire is the bonus to a great family weekend getaway.
What Goes Into Your Weber Q Macaroni and Cheese Recipe?
I will be upfront with you guys! It isn’t your traditional mac & cheese recipe.
I wanted to jazz mine up with a combination of cheeses and herbs to add more flavour than the basic recipe.
It will require a little extra effort, but it is worth every bit of your time if you want to experience a delicious blend of your macaroni and cheese.
Feel free to leave any ingredients out to simplify my recipe.
To get started, you’ll need:
- Cheddar Cheese (Tasty)
- Colby Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Macaroni Pasta
- Bacon (pre-cooked)
- Salted Butter
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cracked Pepper
- Pork Crackle Chips (an alternative to bread crumbs)
You’ll also need a baking dish that’s approximately 25cm x 25cm (10inches) and 6cm (2 1/2inches) in depth.
Of course, you can make mac and cheese in any deep baking dish by simply adjusting the ingredients to the size of the dish you are using.
Or you can also use a disposable aluminium tray. It’s entirely up to you and what you have on hand. Just make sure it’s deep.
How to Prepare Your Weber Q?
Set your Weber Q up for convection cooking by placing a convection tray and trivet it onto the grill.
If you are using the Weber Family Q, turn both gas control knobs to the START/HI position and light your grill.
Turn the gas control knob to the START/HI position for Baby Q and Medium series Webers.
Close the lid and let your Weber Q heat up for 10 minutes.
How to Make Weber Q Mac & Cheese?
Slice the bacon into smaller squares and pre-cook it in a small saute pan for 3-4 minutes.
Drain the bacon onto some paper towel and set it aside.
Grate the cheese, or you can use storebought cheese that has been grated already.
Add the macaroni and all of the cheese to your baking dish, and spread the cheese evenly.
Cut the butter into three even pieces and place one piece on the left, centre and right sides of the baking dish.
And finally, add the milk.
Power Tip: You may be using a different sized baking dish to me, so a good rule of thumb is to add enough milk to fill 3/4 of your dish.
It’s Time to Cook Our Mac & Cheese in the Weber Q
By now, your Weber should be nice and hot and ready to cook your delicious mac & cheese.
Place the tray onto the centre of your trivet and close the lid.
For the Family Q, turn the small gas control knob to the off position and the large control knob to the medium roast setting.
Do the same for the Baby Q and Medium series with the gas control knob.
Try to maintain a temperature between 190°C (375°F) to 220°C (430°F) at all times.
You don’t want your Weber to be too hot as it will boil the milk away too quickly, and the macaroni will become dry.
Close the lid and set up a timer for 30 minutes.
Power Tip: If your macaroni is becoming too dry, add a further cup of milk evenly over the macaroni to give it moisture.
A great alternative to using bread crumbs is pork crackle chips. It is entirely optional, of course.
Pork crackle on mac & cheese is a fantastic garnish that adds more flavour when compared to bread crumbs.
Place the pork crackle into a zip lock bag or food processor and ground them down until they around the size of bread crumbs.
After 30 Minutes, quickly pull the mac & cheese out of your Weber Q. It’s time to add the spices.
Evenly sprinkle the onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cracked pepper and thoroughly stir the mac & cheese.
Lastly, sprinkle the pork crackle evenly over the top.
Pop the baking dish back into the Weber, making sure to continue monitoring the temperature.
Set a timer for a further 30 minutes.
Serve with tossed salad or even some homemade potato salad with egg and bacon made right here on JustSoYum.
Check Out Some of Our Favorite Camping Weber Q Recipes On JustSoYum!
It doesn’t stop here. We have many more tried and tested camping recipe’s that are awesome to cook on your Weber Q.
Winter Weber Q Roast Vegetables With Herbs – Combining roast pumpkin, potatoes, carrot and, sweet potato, it’s the perfect winter treat.
Weber Q Twice-Baked Potatoes with Cheese and Bacon – With yummy mashed potato, garlic butter, bacon and a combination of herbs, these spuds are amazing.
Seriously Juicy Weber Q BBQ Corn On The Cob With Garlic Butter – So quick to make and so yummy to eat. It’s the juiciest corn you’ve ever had.
Weber Q Beef Burger with Cheese Recipe – Hamburgers are a fantastic option when entertaining or camping. Mouthwatering and seasoned to perfection, you’re going to want to try these.
Bacon and Herb Roast Chicken On The Weber Q – Roast chicken with a twist. I placed bacon under the skin. Click the recipe to find out the how and why.
We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Weber Q Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 500 g Pasta macaroni
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups Colby Cheese
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 250 g Bacon pre-cooked
- 125 g Salted Butter
- 4 cups Milk See (note 1)
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cracked Pepper
- 50 g Pork Crackle Chips See (note 2)
Preparing The Macaroni and Cheese
- Chop up the bacon into 1-inch squares and pre-cook in a saute pan for 3 minutes on hi, drain on a sheet of paper towel then set aside.
- In a 25cm x 25cm x 6cm Square Baking Dish add the pasta and evenly spread grated cheddar, colby and, mozzarella cheese.
- Cut the butter into 3 even pieces and place them around the baking dish, then add the pre-cooked bacon. The final step is to add the milk, making sure it fills at least half of the baking dish. (see note 1)
Cooking Macaroni and Cheese – Stage 1
- Set your Weber Q up for indirect cooking using a convection tray and trivet. For the Family Q Turn both gas control knobs to the START/HI position and close the lid and allow 10 minutes to heat up.
- Place the baking dish onto the centre of the trivet and close the lid. Turn the small gas control knob to the off position, and the large gas control knob to medium.For the Baby Q, turn the single gas control knob to the medium position.
- Try to maintain a temperature between 190°C (375°F) to 220°C (430°F) at all times by adjusting the gas control knob accordingly, and set a timer for 30 minutes.
Cooking Macaroni and Cheese – Stage 2
- Crush the pork crackle chips in a zip lock bag and spread evenly over the top.
- After 30 minutes, take the mac & cheese out of the weber and set it down. Add the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper and stir thoroughly.
- Place the baking dish back into the Weber Q and set a timer for a further 30 minutes.
- If after 30 minutes there is still too much milk in the baking dish, givethe mac & cheese another stir and put back into the Weber for 15 minutes or until most of the milk has dissolved.
- Once ready stir to mix the pork crackle through the mac & cheese and serve.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @justsoyum on Instagram or Facebook so we can find your masterpiece.
Alternatively, you can leave a comment below and let us know how you went.