Delightfully rich and hearty with just a pinch of cayenne, these Weber Q devilled sausages are cooked entirely on the grill and come together in only one pan.
Is there nothing the Weber Q cannot do?
This versatile little BBQ produces some of the best food I've ever tasted in my life.
The Weber Q can be summed up as having an oven or grill outside, no matter where you are.
And today's recipe is no exception!
Thanks to my eldest daughter and her amazing Christmas present of 2022, I received the Weber Q casserole dish for my Family Q.
I cooked the best-devilled sausages ever.
The sausages came out tender and juicy, and above all, the sauce was beautiful.
Do I need a casserole dish to make devilled sausages in the Weber Q?
The answer is definitely yes!
Your Weber Q is essentially an oven, so remember, "if it can cook in an oven, it can cook in the Weber Q."
And I'm not saying to rush out and buy Weber's official casserole dish, either.
Any casserole dish will do just fine if you can close the lid on your Weber.
But what I do love most about Weber Q's casserole dish are the removable handles.
This makes my life so much easier when placing the casserole dish on and off the grill without burning myself.
If you have been thinking about grabbing one for yourself, please remember one important point that many people ask.
Will the large Weber Q casserole dish fit in the Baby Q?
The answer is yes and no! I know that isn't a very clear answer.
Well, that's because the large does fit into the Baby Q, but with only one compromise.
You can't put the lid on the casserole dish and expect to close the top of your Baby Q.
And we all know the Weber Q was designed to always cook with the lid down.
So it's best to grab the small dish for the Baby Q and the large for the medium and Family Q series.
Using the right size casserole dish will guarantee the best-tasting Weber Q devilled sausages on the planet!
If you are interested in grabbing yourself the official Weber Q casserole dish (which I highly recommend). Then Amazon has the small and large on offer. Check them out!
Ingredients you'll need to make Weber Q devilled sausages
Before getting into the list of ingredients, I wanted to mention the level of cayenne pepper that I added to this recipe.
I believe devilled sausages need a certain amount of heat, but my family aren't big on it.
So for the sake of this recipe and to stay true to its traditional flavours, I only added ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Please add as much as you like to suit your flavour profile. Still, I recommend only adding a ¼ teaspoon of cayenne in increments until you reach your desired heat level.
Ok, so for this Weber Q devilled sausages recipe, you'll need the following:
- Beef sausages (or pork)
- Beef stock
- Can of diced tomatoes (i used diced Italian tomatoes, they are slightly sweeter)
- Brown onion
- Apple (either granny smith or your favourite red apple)
- Fresh thyme
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dark soy sauce
- Wholegrain mustard (or dijon if your love a stronger mustardy flavour)
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt & black pepper
- Olive oil (for frying)
How to make devilled sausages on the Weber Q? Step 1
Note: Throughout this recipe, I'll provide steps for both Baby Q and Family Q to make it easier for you guys!
To begin making Weber Q grilled sausages, you'll first need to preheat your Q for 10 minutes on High.
Family Q: Turn both gas control knobs to the START/HI position and preheat your Q with the lid down.
While waiting for your Q to preheat, now would be a good time to slice your onion, peel and core, and thinly slice your apple, then mince your garlic cloves.
Once your Weber has preheated, carefully pop the sausages onto the grill on an angle and tightly packed together.
Pro Tip: Keeping sausages packed together on the grill will help them retain their moisture, effectively keeping them tender and juicy. And preventing them from drying out.
Pop the lid of your Q down and leave the gas control knob in the High position.
Family Q: Turn the small gas control knob to low, and leave the large gas control knob in the High position.
Grill your sausages for 2-3 minutes per side until golden.
Once cooked, remove and wrap them in aluminium foil to retain moisture and keep them piping hot, then set aside.
How to make devilled sausages on the Weber Q? Step 2
Step 2 of your Weber Q devilled sausages begins by placing your casserole dish directly onto the centre of the grill and adding 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
Wait for the olive oil to start smoking, then pop your sliced onions into the casserole dish and fry your onions until translucent.
Fry with the lid down to retain the heat in your Q, and occasionally stir to prevent the onions from burning.
Baby Q: Leave the gas control knob in the START/HI position.
Family Q: Turn the small gas control knob up to medium/high and leave the large gas control knob in the START/HI position.
Next, add your sliced apple pieces and continue frying with the lid down until the apple has turned slightly golden.
Remember to stir occasionally.
Finally, add your minced garlic and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
This can be done with the lid up.
How to make the sauce for devilled sausages?
The next step to making Weber Q devilled sausages is creating the sauce.
Combine 1 cup of beef stock with 1 teaspoon of cornflour/cornstarch in a jug, and whisk until there are no lumps.
Pour the stock into the casserole dish with a 400g can of diced tomatoes and 3 thyme sprigs.
Stir well to combine and bring to a slight boil, don't boil all the way.
While waiting for the sauce to almost boil, leave the lid down and the gas control knob/s in the same position.
Next, add 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce, tablespoon wholegrain mustard, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Stir until well combined, then season with salt & black pepper. Taste the sauce and season further if required.
How to make devilled sausages on the Weber Q? Step 3
The final stage to making Weber Q devilled sausages is to remove your sausages from the aluminium foil and slice them up into bite-sized pieces.
Add the sausages to the casserole dish and stir to combine until well mixed throughout the sauce.
Place the lid onto the casserole dish or cover it with aluminium foil.
Baby Q: Turn the gas control knob down to the low position.
Family Q: Turn the small gas control knob to the low position and the large gas control knob off.
Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes, turning halfway until the sausages have softened and are piping hot.
Serve hot on a bed of creamy mashed potato and garnish with freshly chopped parsley or spring onion.
My grilled Weber Q devilled sausages turned out amazing, and now you can take this recipe with you on your next camping trip.
What can I serve with devilled sausages?
Devilled sausages is such a popular recipe enjoyed by many Australians.
It's cost-effective and can feed a small army.
My family love devilled sausages when served on a bed of peppered creamy mashed potatoes and chives.
What can I do with leftover devilled sausages?
Don't throw your leftovers away. Luckily devilled sausages can be reheated.
Once cooled, store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
To reheat, place on the stove on low heat and add a splash of water to loosen the sauce.
Cook until the sausages are piping hot, then serve.
Try some of our other favourite Weber Q recipes your family will love!
JustSoYum has a wealth of family-favourite Weber Q recipes you can try on your own Weber at home.
Check out some of our best Weber Q recipes below!
- Weber Q roast pork with perfect crispy crackling
- Garlic and rosemary Weber Q roast lamb
- Super crunchy Weber Q roast potatoes
- Smoked Weber Q meatloaf with a honey BBQ glaze
- Weber Q chicken and mushroom casserole
- Tender honey glazed Weber Q roast chicken
- Weber Q Mcdonalds McGriddles
- Weber Q banana and walnut bread (yes, you can even bake on the Weber Q)
We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links. We really appreciate it!
Grilled Weber Q Devilled Sausages
- 12 pork sausages beef is also fine
- 1 medium brown onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red or green apple peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 400g tin of diced tomatoes I used Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard or ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard if preferred
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper add ¼ teaspoon increments if you want it hotter
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon corn flour/cornstarch
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- Preheat your Weber Q for 10 minutes on high. Family Q: Turn both gas control knobs to the START/HI position.
- Once preheated, place the sausages directly onto the grill, and pack them tightly together to help retain as much moisture in the sausages as possible. Baby Q: Leave the gas control knob on high. Family Q: Turn the small gas control knob to the low position and leave the Large gas control in the high position. Grill the sausages for 2-3 minutes per side until golden, and make sure they are grilled with the lid down.
- Once grilled, wrap the sausages in aluminium foil to keep them warm and set aside.
- Place the Weber Q casserole dish (recipe note 1) or similar onto the centre of the grill and turn the heat back up to high. Fry the chopped onions until they soften, then add sliced apples. Continue frying until both begin turning golden, then add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. (recipe note 2)
- In a jug, combine 1 cup beef stock and 1 teaspoon corn flour/cornstarch and stir until there are no lumps. Pour the stock into the dish with one 400g can of diced tomatoes and 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme, then stir until the tomatoes begin to boil.
- To the casserole dish, add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard. Stir until well combined, then season with salt & pepper. Taste the sauce and adjust it to your liking.
- Slice the sausages into smaller pieces and place them back into the casserole dish. Mix the sausages through the sauce and put the lid on the dish.
- Baby Q: Turn the heat down to low and simmer with the lid down for 10 minutes, turning halfway to avoid the sausages burning. Family Q: Turn the small gas control knob to the low position and the large gas control knob off and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Serve hot on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes and garnish with fresh spring onion or chopped parsley. Enjoy!