Craving a snack that's both lip-smackingly good and easy to make? Look no further! Unleash your inner foodie with my Spicy Lamb and Butternut Pumpkin Sausage Rolls.
We're bringing the heat with sizzling ground lamb, and sweet butternut pumpkin, all wrapped in flaky pastry with a cheeky chilli kick. This is no ordinary sausage roll – it's a taste sensation.
These lamb and butternut pumpkin sausage rolls are packed with bold flavours from the juicy lamb, sweet pumpkin, and hint of chilli, but they're also incredibly versatile.
Whether you're hosting a weekend gathering, needing a quick snack for the kids after school, or even looking for a festive treat during the holiday season, these sausage rolls are just the ticket.
Plus, they're simple enough for novice cooks yet still exciting for seasoned chefs.
What ingredients you'll need
To make my spicy lamb and butternut pumpkin sausage rolls, you'll need the following:
- Minced lamb
- Butternut pumpkin
- Brown onion
- Dried rosemary (you can also use fresh)
- Dried thyme (you can also use fresh)
- Feta cheese
- Ground nutmeg
- Chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Puff pastry sheets
- Black and white sesame seeds (optional)
How to make spicy lamb and butternut pumpkin sausage rolls?
To begin, fire up your oven! Turn it up to 200°C. That's about 390°F for our friends using Fahrenheit.
Now, grab a large bowl and toss in the ground lamb, grated pumpkin, chopped onion, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, feta cheese, nutmeg, and chilli flakes if you like a little spice.
Remember to add a pinch of salt and pepper! Give it all a good mix until it's nicely combined.
Next, let's prep your puff pastry. Lay the sheets on a clean surface, and divide that delicious filling you just made into two.
Now, place each half into a log along one edge of each pastry sheet.
Time to roll! Wrap that pastry around the filling as tightly as you can. When you get to the end, brush a beaten egg on the far edge of the pastry, this will act like glue and seal your sausage rolls.
Now it's slicing time. Cut each roll into smaller pieces. Usually, about 5-6 per roll works great.
Then place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray lightly sprayed with oil to prevent sticking.
Leave space between each roll for that all-important puffing up in the oven.
Before we pop them into the oven, brush the tops with the rest of the beaten egg and sprinkle some sesame seeds to make your lamb and butternut pumpkin sausage rolls even more luxurious.
In they go into your preheated oven for around 25-30 minutes. You'll know they're done when the pastry has turned a lovely golden brown, and the filling is cooked through.
Give them a moment to cool off after you take them out of the oven. The filling will be hot.
And there you have it - your very own homemade Spicy Lamb and Butternut Pumpkin Sausage Rolls, ready to be devoured. Enjoy!
What to serve with your sausage rolls?
Lamb and Butternut Pumpkin Sausage Rolls are incredibly versatile and can be paired with a variety of sides or condiments. Here are a few ideas:
- Dipping Sauces: Tomato ketchup, barbecue sauce, or a tangy chutney can complement the richness of the sausage rolls. Consider serving with a homemade mint yogurt dip or a spicy chilli jam for a fancier option.
- Salads: A fresh, crisp salad can balance the heartiness of the sausage rolls. Consider a simple green salad, a tangy coleslaw, or a tomato and cucumber salad. A Greek salad could also be a good choice, given the feta in the sausage rolls.
- Roasted Vegetables: You could serve the sausage rolls with a side of roasted vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, or Brussels sprouts.
- Potato Sides: A side of chips (fries), sweet potato fries, or even a creamy potato salad could be a delightful accompaniment.
- Soup: If you're serving the sausage rolls as a lunch or dinner main, they could be paired with a bowl of homemade pumpkin soup or a butternut squash soup for a thematic pairing.
- Pickles: A variety of pickles or a relish tray can add a refreshing contrast to the rich, meaty rolls.
Remember, the best pairings will depend on the occasion, the tastes of your guests, and what other dishes you're serving. Enjoy your meal planning!
Frequently asked questions
While this recipe uses lamb for its rich flavour, you could also use beef, pork, or a plant-based substitute.
Add more chilli flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the filling if you want more heat.
You can easily adapt this recipe by using gluten-free puff pastry and ensuring all other ingredients are gluten-free.
Yes, you can. Just make sure to freeze them before baking. When you're ready to eat them, you can bake them straight from the freezer, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
Some of our favourite recipes!
It doesn't just stop at lamb and butternut pumpkin sausage rolls. We have a growing list of amazing family-friendly recipes that are easy to make right in your kitchen at home.
- Leftover Roast Lamb Stroganoff
- Air Fryer Roast Pork With Crispy Crackling
- Air Fryer Roast Lamb with a Mint Sauce Glaze
- Slow Cooker Beef Casserole
- Bacon-Wrapped Cannelloni Recipe With Beef & Pork
Luna in the kitchen!
As I prepped and cooked these lamb and butternut pumpkin sausage rolls, Luna, our black Labrador, was my faithful kitchen companion.
She scrutinized every move from a safe distance, staying particularly close to the oven as the sausage rolls baked.
When the sausage rolls were ready, Luna performed her duty as our official taste tester.
She carefully sniffed the sausage roll, then gave it a delicate lick before taking her first bite.
With each chew, her tail wagged faster, signalling her approval.
Spicy Lamb and Butternut Pumpkin Sausage Rolls
- 500 g minced lamb (1.1 pounds)
- 250 g butternut pumpkin (9 oz) grated See Note 1
- 1 large brown onion finely chopped
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon dried rosemary
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- 100 g feta cheese (3.5 oz) crumbled
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (add an extra teaspoon if you want it spicier)
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 puff pastry sheets thawed if frozen
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
- black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (about 390°F).
- In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb, grated pumpkin, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped rosemary, chopped thyme, crumbled feta cheese, ground nutmeg, chilli flakes (if using), and salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix together until well combined.
- Lay out your puff pastry sheets on a clean surface. Divide the lamb and pumpkin mixture into two, shaping each half into a log along one edge of the pastry sheet.
- Roll the pastry sheet tightly around the filling, brushing the far edge of the pastry with the beaten egg to help seal it. Repeat with the second pastry sheet and the remaining filling.
- Cut each roll into your desired size (typically 5-6 pieces per roll). Arrange the sausage rolls on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Make sure to leave space between them to allow for expansion during baking.
- Brush the pastry with the remaining beaten egg, then sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds if you like.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy your homemade Lamb and Pumpkin Sausage Rolls!